The public portfolio is an experiment started on 1 December 2018. The idea was to take a $1,000 NZD investment and track its performance over the long term. The goal of the experiment was to add a practical element to the research conducted on this blog. All changes to the portfolio are recorded and tracked in the newsfeed below, with accompanying notes explaining the reasoning. All changes will also be tweeted with hashtag #bmoneymoves to create a timestamped history.
Please note: I am not a financial advisor and this is not financial advice. The investments below are based solely on the opinion of the writer and provided for informational purposes only. Consult your own professionals and make your own decisions.
SEPTEMBER 29 2019:
Market is heading down! Stabilising a little, will dollar cost average on the way down but am going to pick up some Bitcoin and Binance Coin here.
BUY 0.00076275 BTC / PRICE: $13,045 NZD / AMOUNT $10 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.407830 BNB / PRICE: $24.52 NZD / AMOUNT $10 NZD (including fees)
SEPTEMBER 19 2019:
Sideways market for some weeks. Will add first parcel of BNB.
BUY 0.602591 BNB / PRICE: $33 NZD / AMOUNT $20 NZD (including fees)
aUGUST 28 2019:
Market has been moving somewhat sideways with a few spikes. Trying to be prudent, but we're still in 60% cash so I'm going to add to some positions before the month is out. Adding BTC, Litecoin, Ethereum.
BUY 0.00074593 BTC / PRICE: $179 NZD / AMOUNT $12 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.08688655 LTC / PRICE $115 NZD / AMOUNT $10 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.03384208 ETH / PRICE $294 NZD / AMOUNT $10 NZD (including fees)
July 10 2019:
Been on the sidelines a while. Bitcoin is moving a lot but Litecoin has consolidated somewhat. Adding to Litecoin position.
BUY 0.04467999 LTC / PRICE: $179 NZD / AMOUNT $8 NZD (including fees)
June 30 2019:
Added first entry on Monero.
BUY 0.0679163 XMR / PRICE: $147 NZD / AMOUNT $10 NZD (including fees)
June 27 2019:
Market is going crazy. Saw a big retrace on Vechain today and decided it was an opportune time to add it to the portfolio finally. Added $10 and possibly more in coming weeks.
BUY 836 VET / PRICE: $0.012 NZD / AMOUNT $10 NZD (including fees)
June 23 2019:
Insane week. I've been sitting on the sidelines, watching BTC rip through 10k and then 11k a few days later. Finding entry points has been hard as market is moving so much faster and unpredictably these days. We haven't accumulated much this month, so I'm going to accumulate a little bit in alts today, but mostly I'm just waiting for dips to enter larger amounts of fiat. On standby!
BUY 0.018337 LTC / PRICE: $217.82 NZD / AMOUNT $4 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.20163 XLM / PRICE: $0.20163 NZD / AMOUNT $4 (including fees)
June 6 2019:
Been sitting out for a couple weeks as markets have been going haywire. Today I'm still not sure we've settled into a trend, but I'm going to accumulate a little BTC anyway just to be prudent. We don't want to buy highs, but also don't want to be stuck in a big cash position if market takes off.
BUY 0.00134868 BTC / PRICE: $11,819 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
May 22 2019:
Bitcoin has failed to break through 8k resistance several times, but charts and sentiment are still reasonably bullish. In times like this it's very difficult to fight the FOMO, but that's exactly the plan here. The opposite of FOMO is prudence. So I won't be adding more to the portfolio than usual this week, however...I will start to open positions on some altcoins that we still haven't acquired yet. The reason for this is I want to make sure we're at least in with a small position. There's a good chance alts pull back from here, but as we're entering small positions only the risk is negligible. First altcoins we'll be acquiring are Stellar and EOS. Both achieved over 30/40 on our research reports and both can be purchased with fiat via Independent Reserve.
BUY 0.00105300 BTC / PRICE: $12,288 NZD / AMOUNT $13 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.020238 ETH / PRICE $395 NZD / AMOUNT $8 NZD (including fees)
BUY 19.17639 XLM / PRICE: $0.20824 NZD / AMOUNT $4 NZD (including fees)
BUY 1.0144 EOS / PRICE: $10 NZD / AMOUNT $10 NZD (including fees)
Note: I only meant to purchase $4 of ETH but my internet glitched and order went through twice so I got $8. No worries 🙂
May 15 2019:
Insane week. Bitcoin obliterated all chart resistance at 6k and pushed to 7k. When it got there, it broke through again and went straight to 8k. All in one week. Runs like this are typically bad times to accumulate, but I'm going to accumulate at least a little bit, just to keep our positions growing. I see these still being good buys in a year's time. I'm also readjusting some our asset allocations, decreasing cash to 15% and increasing BTC to 55%.
BUY 0.00102790 BTC / PRICE: $12,598 NZD / AMOUNT $13 NZD (including fees)
May 8 2019:
Very bullish week. BTC climbed over $6,000 USD. Remember last time we went from $6,000 to $20,000 in around 4 weeks. Things move fast in crypto land. I see massive resistance in the charts at 6k, so my guess is we'll see a small pullback. However I still think it's important to accumulate every week at these prices, so we'll add some BTC.
BUY 0.00178000 BTC / PRICE: $8,955 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
April 26 2019:
Bull market feels like it's on its way back. Of course you can never tell for sure, but I decided to beef up the ETH and LTC positions too today. Still waiting for a good entry point for other alts.
BUY 0.00200559 BTC / PRICE: $7,946 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees) BUY 0.01711399 ETH / PRICE: $234 NZD / AMOUNT $4 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.01820399 LTC / PRICE: $110 NZD / AMOUNT $2 NZD (including fees)
April 10 2019:
Big moves for Bitcoin. I think we're going to pull back somewhat, but will still add in the buy this week. Made a mistake on the order and put in $17 instead of $16, no biggie!
BUY 0.00215612 BTC / PRICE: $7,865 NZD / AMOUNT $17.03 NZD (including fees)
March 28 2019:
Very bullish week. Altcoins have been moving a lot. I generally dislike buying during heavy movements so sticking with just BTC this week. Although I will look to add Stellar and maybe Monero, EOS or NEO soon.
BUY 0.00271177 BTC / PRICE: $5,878 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
March 21 2019:
BTC broke above $4k USD, sentiment continues to be bullish. Binance IEOs were heavily oversusbscribed and added momentum to the market. Will stay away from alts as they rally this week, but will add the standard $16 BTC.
BUY 0.00271510 BTC / PRICE: $5,871 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
March 13 2019:
Noticeably bullish sentiment this week. Cautious about market pulling back heavily in the coming months. Will add small amount of BTC and ETH.
BUY 0.00280493 BTC / PRICE: $5,683 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.01031991 ETH / PRICE $194 / AMOUNT $2 NZD (including fees)
March 6 2019:
Flat week for BTC. Want to make sure we've gotten a strong LTC position before any bull market so adding LTC too.
BUY 0.00279794 BTC / PRICE: $5,697 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.02553 LTC / PRICE $78 / AMOUNT $2 NZD (including fees)
February 21 2019:
Sentiment seems to be changing. Crypto Twitter is noticably more bullish, and Bitcoin is rallying slowly. Re charting, BTC finally broke through the 50 day EMA which is a very bullish sign. I think it could be a short lived rally, but as long as we're accumulating regularly it won't matter in the long run.
BUY 0.00277512 BTC / PRICE: $5,744 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
February 13 2019:
Some interesting things are happening in crypto right now. There was a strong Litecoin rally earlier this week which rallied most of the market. I've been thinking about waiting on the sidelines for a few weeks until we get bearish again, but my ultimate decision is to at least continue accumulating BTC. My belief is that in 5 years these buys are going to be very fruitful. However, trying to stay prudent and continue drip feeding over the next year/18 months.
BUY 0.00297673 BTC / PRICE: $5,355 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
january 31 2019:
End of January. Been a quiet month for BTC. Still accumulating.
BUY 0.02327 ETH / PRICE: $154 NZD / AMOUNT $4 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.00317410 BTC / PRICE: $5,022 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
january 24 2019:
Ethereum has come down some this week so I'll increase my holding in it today. Also adding BTC as usual.
BUY 0.02327 ETH / PRICE: $172 NZD / AMOUNT $4 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.003016 BTC / PRICE: $5,283 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
january 16 2019:
Market sentiment largely unchanged. Added $16 of BTC.
BUY 0.003002 BTC / PRICE: $5,308 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
january 9 2019:
Sentiment has been notably more bullish lately. "Bitcoin is dead" narrative has been less prominent and more focus has been on the development expected in 2019. I still think we have more downside to go and wouldn't be surprised if we go sub 3k. My best guess is 2020 is the best chance of seeing strong bullish movement. Until then, accumulating.
BUY 0.002683 BTC / PRICE: $5,941 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
january 2 2019:
BTC flat but ETH is up a lot. Adding BTC only this week.
BUY 0.002785 BTC / PRICE: $5,720 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
December 26 2018:
Not much movement in the market. BTC is still sitting in the 3,500-4,000 range. Going to add $20 to the portfolio, $16 in BTC and $4 in LTC.
BUY 0.002841 BTC / PRICE: $5,608 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.0897 LTC / PRICE: $44.49 / AMOUNT $4 NZD (including fees)
December 19 2018:
We had a rally in the markets this week, with Bitcoin almost rallying to $4k and some altcoins gaining as much as 30%. This is good news obviously, but also means we won't be able to accumulate as much this week. Like I said it's kind of counter-intuitive but I feel like we should get more aggressive when the market dips to take advantage of lower prices. Since prices actually went up, I'm going to stick with the same dollar input as last week. I'm going to also start opening our Litecoin position.
BUY 0.002801 BTC / PRICE: $5,688 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.01285 ETH / PRICE: $156NZD / AMOUNT $2 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.041 LTC / PRICE: $48.97 / AMOUNT $2 NZD (including fees)
December 12 2018:
Market is down further. Bitcoin is testing $3k, and I think it might break it. I think this is oversold territory. Ethereum has fallen under $100 USD which I also think is undervalued. People were bullish on Ethereum at $100 back in 2017 when we weren't even sure if it worked. Now it's facilitated thousands of ICOs and Casper is on the way. Sub $100 is a bargain in my opinion. Sticking to our cost-averaging strategy, I'm adding another 2% to Bitcoin and I'm also going to open our position on ETH.
BUY 0.003159 BTC / PRICE: $5,044 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees)
BUY 0.030119 ETH / PRICE: $132NZD / AMOUNT $4 NZD (including fees)
December 5 2018:
Going to enter a Bitcoin position today. It's difficult to be confident about an entry into the market right now, we're in the depths of a bear market and most people seem to be exiting rather than entering. There's a high chance Bitcoin falls lower tomorrow. However, the research tells me there is value at this price and the best I can do is follow the research.
Starting with a classic dollar cost averaging entry technique: 2% per week; that should exhaust the fiat fund over approximately one year. As a prudence measure I will keep a fiat reserve of $200 to give me some negative space. So 2% of $800 gives us a weekly entry of around $16 NZD. I may get more or less aggressive depending on how the market plays out going forward.
ACTION 5/12/18: BUY 0.002848 BTC / PRICE: $5,594 NZD / AMOUNT $16 NZD (including fees) / Twitter link
December 1 2018:
Starting today with a $1,000 NZD deposit. At this stage I am leaving it all in cash, but will start to drip-feed in weekly to Bitcoin, starting at 2%. We are in the depths of a bear market right now, and global economy is also showing instability. I think Bitcoin can go lower from here. Target allocation for Bitcoin is 40%, but I'm going to be prudent and build it slowly. I also am setting a target allocation for Ethereum at 10%, although I am holding off building that as of now.